Appeal For Donations
Pratichi, a not-for-profit non-government organisation (NGO), founded by Professor Amartya Sen with his Nobel Prize money, endeavours to promote inclusive development in India – especially in the spheres of primary education, elementary health-care, gender equity and people’s democratic rights. Pratichi explores issues related to these core areas of concern through field studies and research as well as public discussions and debates. Pratichi is a unique multidimensional organisation that brings together the highest standards of academic excellence with the field experience of dedicated grassroots workers and a forum for discussions that inspire individuals and social groups, and influence lives, community thinking and government policy. The uniqueness of Pratichi’s methodology vis-à-vis social development and service consists in mixing action-oriented research and research-informed action to get the ‘research-in-action’ approach to problem-solving. Pratichi’s empirical investigations and actions are intimately connected by involving local people in the processes of identification, project design, gathering and analysis of relevant data. This way the Pratichi team forms important coalitions at the local level and endeavours to calibrate solutions according to local realities.
After over two decades of dedicated service to development issues, social causes, research and people, Pratichi is looking to consolidate its strengths and fortify the future. At this juncture, Pratichi seeks monetary, intellectual and moral support from people and compatible organisations to ensure that it attains the financial stability and self-sufficiency it needs. Given the volatility of the current situation in a pandemic-hit India in the throes of one of the worst economic meltdowns, Pratichi seeks your patronage to help us look at revenue generation or fundraising from an entirely new perspective – as a strategic function that will allow us to do much more than just finding money to implement certain programmes. Your donations would empower us to create financial reserves, to carry out all work required for energetically championing the core objectives of the organisation, to function independently, to find innovative solutions and to build a community of like-minded supporters. We need to put in place a wide-ranging financial support system in order to ensure not only our survival and growth but also our transformation into an autonomous, innovative, monetarily self-sufficient, professionally focused establishment dedicated to social development and eradication of common people’s problems. Certain areas of our activities, for which we are urgently looking to utilise your contributions, are:
- Completion of the construction of the entire Amartya Sen Centre (ASC), Pratichi’s own multi-storey building to house not only the main offices of the Pratichi (India) Trust and the Pratichi Institute but also certain other facilities like a library, a state-of-the-art auditorium, conference rooms, a book store, a cafeteria and much more on land acquired by the Pratichi Trust on lease from the Government of West Bengal – including expenses for furniture, air-conditioning, generator back-up, IT infrastructure, et al.
- Provide for all operational costs required annually for running Pratichi Institute, including salaries, utilities, marketing, IT support, etc., in the Kolkata, Santiniketan and Himachal Pradesh units.
- Provide for all operational costs required annually for running the Pratichi School, including salaries, utilities, marketing, IT support, etc., in Jagatsinghpur, Odisha.
- Provide for a certain number of researches and studies every year sponsored from Pratichi’s own resources in the sphere of school education.
- Provide for a certain number of researches and studies every year sponsored from Pratichi’s own resources in the sphere of elementary healthcare and nutrition.
- Provide for a certain number of researches and studies every year sponsored from Pratichi’s own resources in the sphere of gender equity.
- Provide for a certain number of researches and studies every year sponsored from Pratichi’s own resources in the sphere of people’s democratic rights.
- Provide for a certain number of researches and studies every year sponsored from Pratichi’s own resources in the sphere of village studies.
- Provide for a certain number of researches and studies every year sponsored from Pratichi’s own resources in the sphere of marginality studies.
- Provide for support from Pratichi’s own resources with regard to certain projects deemed very important for upholding the core objectives of the organisation sponsored by other organisations.
Pratichi – like most NGOs – subsists on the patronage, support and involvement of individuals and organisations whose vision is aligned to that of Pratichi. Today, there is a need not just to build on our existing relationships but to widen this database of supporters, donors, patrons and other friends in a manner by which more and more people and organisations are able to clearly see our value proposition vis-à-vis an increasingly competitive sector of nonprofit non-governmental organisations tackling social problems.
All monetary contributions may kindly be sent either by cheque/ draft in the name of Pratichi (India) Trust to our offices in New Delhi or Kolkata or Santiniketan or be transferred electronically to the following bank account: Pratichi (India) Trust, State Bank of India, New Delhi Main Branch, Account number: 38318326499, IFSC Code: SBIN0000691. Tax benefits under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act will apply.